Sunday, December 12, 2010

Corporate America - week 1

Well I have made a thankfully uneventful move to Columbus and am 90% settled in. I still have a few wall hanging items I am not sure what to do with and a few boxes to donate to Goodwill.

To get right to the point, my first week was quite good, and not just because of the two free lunches, one which was a holiday lunch with carved prime rib. From the get go, I just had such a feeling of belonging and a reassurance that I had made the correct choice for my life and career. There were a few minor glitches with technology, badges and mailboxes the first day, but nothing of any real concern, and all of which were remedied by Wednesday. I was very grateful that my manager was on top of all of the necessary items to have my desk etc. ready to go.

Everyone I met with the first week was very welcoming and most everyone mentioned how wonderful my manager is and how lucky I am to be working with her. Despite her very busy schedule, which included a quick meeting in DC, she has spent a lot of time with me ensuring I was getting acclimated. I am also very excited about the work I will be doing and feel already that my contributions have fallen on open and welcoming ears. Of course, I know that this "first week feeling" won't last forever, but that's when I'll go shopping with my new inflated paycheck :)

A few other things:

PROS
Free parking
Tasty cafeteria downstairs
Cubical
Dressing up
Pretty decent FREE gym facility with FREE personal training
Living less than 2 miles from work

Cons
Flat parking lot with rain and snow
French fries and ice cream within walking distance
Cubical with lots of people talking around me
No casual Friday (guess I need to shop more)
Sitting at a desk all the time (I may miss loading qPCR plates and cell culture one day soon)

No comments: