Friday, April 3, 2009

Pancakes and rodeos

It was about circa 1994 when she moved in across the street and I was enamored with her from the start. Everything about her was the complete opposite of my Mid-west, subdivision-living, 2.5 kids and a cat all American life. A cow-girl, a real life cow-girl with a horse, chaps, rodeo belt buckles, and roping skills. We had no common threads of experience to connect us but we made a fast friendship because of those differences.

It was only a few years before she moved on; that was the first time my heart was broken. My first best-friend who I could tell anything, that person who you just laugh about nothing with for what seems like ever, was gone. As it was back then, before email, we kept in contact with letter writing and phone calls for a few years but eventually lost touch.

I am going to see her this weekend after almost 15 years (gotta love Facebook)! We spoke on the phone the other day and it was like time had never passed and we were just across the street from each on Sugarloaf making our weekend plans. I still can't really believe I am going to see her. I'll let you know how the reunion goes.



She was also the reason I started listening to country music. Sometimes I think the first verse of this song was written about us.

2 comments:

Grace said...

How exciting! I love reunions! I wonder how many of those reunions facebook has made possible?...

Mike said...

Pancakes are bread.