Sunday, March 21, 2010

Wine, birthday, and a make-over

There was a great, albeit a tad crowded, wine tasting at a restaurant just around the corner from my place on Friday night. The night started a bit earlier, though, with a impromptu lab happy-hour. I wasn't originally planning on beer and wine in the same night, but considering this is the first lab-related social event that has happened since my arrival, I felt the need to participate. The theme of the wine tasting was "World Cup of Wine: France vs Spain." There were about 30 wines, split pretty much half and half. As these things usually go, after about the fourth taste all the reds were tasting similar as were the whites. However, there was a bright, and spicy, star in the bunch, a French Domaine de la Cotes-du-Rhone. I would not say it was spectacular, but just its sheer distinctiveness among the bunch made me put down a few bottles for me and a few for Christian on the order. On top of that tasty treat, it is well priced and available at Arbor Farms Market, how sponsored the tasting.

After breakfast out and a few errands on Saturday, I took a trip "home" for a dinner party for my brother's 30th birthday. It just never ceases to amaze me some of the personality traits of mine that Marissa has. She was bouncing off the walls with excitement for my daddy's party; very reminiscent of "Tina-time" that used to occur in my bouncing-off-the-wall days. I also had a chance to meet up with Dan and Kelly later in the evening and catch-up a bit. It is wonderful to be able to make it home for things of this nature, but sometimes I find that even though I am home more, I don't really see people that much, as I'm usually in-and-out for whatever event has brought me to Grand Blanc.

One of my new-favorite stores in Ann Arbor, Ulta, had free-mini make-overs today, so I took the opportunity for a little, did I mention free, pampering and tips.

Now it is time to plan our trip to Chicago this coming weekend. I am ecstatic to see my friends, get out of town, and actually do some touristy stuff in Chicago.

No comments: