Sunday, August 23, 2009

Back to reality

After 2 months, 3 vacations, and over 6,500 miles of car and plane rides it is time to start my job tomorrow. I have had wonderful time traveling and spending time with friends I do not get to see nearly as often as I would like. The sights and sounds I have been able to experience, delectable food I've tasted, and wonderful people I've met has made this summer truly an unforgettable experience. Of course it went too fast and I with all the planning, I can't believe it is over. I now think I might have developed a new vacation hobby and am already working on planning the next trip.

I had a dream about the new job last night; thankfully nothing scary and worrisome. My feelings are mixed on the subject. I am ready to get started and am looking forward to a bit more structure in my daily schedule, which I'm sure comes as no big surprise. My anxiety now is about the logistics of the new lab, schedule and, well, life. Will riding the bus work out? How are things done in the lab? Do I do my own ordering? Am I going to end up joining a gym, or make due with the equipment here? Will I find people at work to go out with? What's the drama, because there is always drama. I am excited about starting a new line of research and learning new skills and techniques. Being close to my family has already made my transition easier. After returning from Scotland, Marissa gave me a big hug and said, "I'm glad you are home." As with all families, dysfunctionality is imminent and an unwelcomed side-affect I now must deal with given my proximity, but there are plenty of great Michigan brews I have yet to try - I think I'll make it.

Well, here comes the next chapter, let's see what it will bring

No comments: