Tuesday, August 25, 2009

We don't share very well

Since sharing is not something my new lab has mastered, as per Louise, I (and everyone else) get one of my own just about everything. OK, I don't have my own PCR machine or centrifuge, but I have a set of my own bench basics and reagents: pipettes, pipette aid, all sorts of plastic tubes and holders, scissors, and even a mini-fridge to keep stuff in that I am "too lazy" to walk to the cooler for.

I found the biochem store room, right in our building also have my own shelf in the freezer and a mail slot. I expect letters.

The desk is coming together, calendar, bus schedule and a few pictures are up. I hope to get the rest up tomorrow, but the cork-board around my desk is evil and does not seem to like being stuck with push-pins. The snacks and coffee cups have arrived and mouse-house shoes are coming with tomorrow. I also proudly navigated an additional bus route today to return to the dealership when my car had some recall work done this afternoon. The journey involved a trip from campus to the main terminal downtown and a transfer, all which went smoothly.

Stuart and the fam came down for dinner and so he could install my new faucet in the kitchen sink to remedy the absent sprayer. The faucet functions for what I intended, however, the neck is a bit lower in to the sink that I thought, but it was the only sprayer model that fit my sink. Got to give and take I guess.

It is on to the 1st of 4 animal training classes tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kirstie said...

I have my own pipettes here at Hopkins, too. In fact, I have 3 sets of them!!! It has more to do with the science we are doing and the money the lab has rather than the lack of sharing. I hope that things are going well... even if you are at U Mich! =)