Monday, August 24, 2009

Real world: Day 1

My first day in the real world went off without a hitch and was very similar to grad school days. I think moving from one college town to another has been a good move. Most of the morning was spent back and forth between the lab on the 5th floor and the administrative offices on the 3rd floor. My favorite part of the morning was when I received my locker!! Yes, I have a high-school-like locker in the hall down from the lab, number 1530, so you know which one to decorate for homecoming and my birthday. I also had to schedule several training classes for animal handling, radiation safety, and other OSHA requirements. I also was able to start reading some articles and begin to refocus my scientific train of thought.
  • Catch the bus at the park-n-ride this morning - check
  • Key card access - check
  • Log-in name/password, network drives, & printer - check
  • Afternoon coffee at the biggest Espresso Royale Cafe EVER - check
  • Catch the bus home this afternoon (and I did not have to run it down) - check
The docket for the rest of the week includes journal club tomorrow, the 1st of four training classes Wednesday, and lab meeting Thursday. I have already been warned this might be a doozy, since there has not been a lab meeting in several weeks.

I have my bag of desk essentials ready for tomorrow: pictures, silverware, coffee cup, S&P, sharpies, pens, highlighter, note pads, sticky notes, calendar, and snacks. So far so good, everyone was nice today and I'm looking forward to getting a few experiments under my belt.

No comments: