Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"Look at the beautiful world"

That was one of many witty remarks Marissa made while looking out the plane window this past weekend during our trip to NY for my cousin's bar mitzvah. I was very happy that she was not shy around the extended family that she met for the first time, and Allison would even let a few 'strangers' hold her as well. They both did pretty good on the plane, despite sitting on the plane for almost an hour before take-off. Leslie, however, was another story. I knew she was afraid of flying, but I had never experienced it. Honestly, it was pretty funny, and she seemed to think so too. It was very enduring how Marissa and Justin hit it off right away. From the moment of their first meeting she was his shadow. He was very patience with her and even during one the biggest events of his young life, he took the time to play with her, watch her while she tagged along with his friends, and dance with her. Speaking of dancing, I think she has inherited this from me as well. She was on the dance floor the whole night, Stuart had to drag her off at 11:30. She danced with me, my dad, other little kids, and just about everyone. She was dancing with Lisa's (my uncle's niece) little girl and I asked her if she remember when we did that at my aunt and uncle's wedding?

It was of course a fantastic party - great wine; amazing food; sushi, lobster, pasta-making-man, meat-carving-man, oysters in a half shell, lamb chops, ice cravings, and that was just a sample of the cocktail hour. The band was wonderful and the dance floor was full all night. My family met the rest of the Sherry family and all went well. I met Marisa's (the long lost cousin) mom Penny, who is just a doll! Marissa the niece was at first not too sure what to make of Marisa the cousin, but after a bit they were dancing the night away. I was able to meet a few more cousins on that side and it was the first time in my life, we were not the only Sherrys at a family event.

So for the girlfriend...it was Ok. Nothing majorly dramatic happened, there was enough going on that I didn't really have to see or talk to her too much. I know I could have been nicer and made small talk etc. and I wish I wasn't so upset with my dad (for many reasons) to take it out on her. In all honesty, I hope they are happy and make each other happy. She seemed nice enough and to have a good time with the crazy family. The most painful thing was how my mom was shut out of all of this. When Justin was saying his hov tour at the temple, tears came to my eyes thinking that my mom should be here to see him; they have a special bond. It is time, and it is slowly moving forward and the timing of the bar mitzvah with the divorce and new girlfriend was plain just not good.

All in all, the weekend went much better than I thought, not was I would have wanted it, but a good time.

No comments: