Friday, September 11, 2009

Some progress

After a few failed attempts at getting my transformed bacteria to grow and isolate the DNA plasmid I was finally successful today. The sample still needs to be sequenced, and thank goodness there is a core facility for such a thing, to determine if our gene is what we think it is before I proceed. There are still lots of steps to do before I am able to do my tail vein injections, including learning and mastering tail vein injections. I think this maybe the hardest part, because it requires a large volume in a very short amount of time - i.e. lots of practice. I have cells growing and will hopefully get to an experiment next week; that is the plan, but one never knows in the world of science.

The week has been pretty boring and I'm looking forward to a busy weekend. By Wednesday I took myself out for a drink as cabin fever was setting in. I was in the mood for a martini and found the Babs Underground was a good spot, however, I think I was there WAY too early and it was pretty dead. So I nursed my martini until it was late-night happy hour at Vinology (half off wine by the glass) and had a good glass of petite Shiraz and some Kobe beef sliders. I think I am going to try and make this as much a weekly event as possible - Vinology has lots of glasses that I need to try.

The weekend is going to thankfully be busy. Dinner and a show with Amy - Indian and 'The Producers.' Kelly is coming down tomorrow for a trip to the Homegrown Festival in Kerrytown and then back to Grand Blanc for Allison's first birthday on Sunday.

No comments: