Saturday, May 16, 2009

Reflections

Today I am a doctor, Christina Lynn Sherry, PhD, something I never imagined in my wildest dreams. Now that it is over and I have the time to look back on how many never-in-my-wildest-dreams moments that come along with this PhD journey, I am amazed.

I found a letter at my mom's house that I wrote myself circa 5th grade in Mrs. Bookout's class as part of a project. She mailed them to us when we graduated high school and as I read the things I told myself about who I am and who I think I am going to be it is all I can do not to laugh. I am still the same bull-headed, out-spoken, independent person as I was in 5th grade. I always thought I was going to be a high-school teacher and I guess in certain ways I am a teacher.

There are things I haven't done yet, but many more I never thought I would do. People in my life have changed me in ways I never thought possible and beloved family are no longer around to see the first Dr. Sherry. I have been faced with many hard decision and unexpected complications all the while having the support of amazing friends and family. I feel I have truly found a passion in my work and love the questions science poses. It is hard to put in to words the feelings of graditutde and humility I have for all of those who have supported me in this journey, because it would not have been possible without you.

1 comment:

Erin said...

wow... a ph.d. What an amazing accomplishment :) congrats!