Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Summer reading

This summer I will have ample time just to sit and read, whether it be in airports and during my summer travels, sitting in the woods at the cottage in the U.P., or in the next few weeks enjoying a very reduced lab schedule sitting at one of the fine establishment downtown.

My "to-read" list is kind of short, so I am looking for some suggestions. I enjoy a lot of styles of writing, in particular short stories, such as David Sedaris, or fiction-type biographies such as The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Other books I have enjoyed are Eat, Love, Pray, works by Daniel Quinn, Malcolm Gladwell, and Wally Lamb. I like reading WWII stories and science fiction, but haven't ever been able to get in to mysteries or far-fetched fiction, such as Wicked. I am not sure the exact genre, but I enjoy scientific-based books like The Female Brain (Louann Brizendine) and Freakonomics.

I had started World War Z about a month ago, but did not have much time to devote to reading and have recently started it again. My short list includeds The Last Lecture and Hot, Flat, and Crowded, so as you can see I am in need of your suggestions.

1 comment:

Grace said...

I really think that you should consider the Twilight series...classy? no. Good? YES!!!!

I would describe the series as an incredibly addictive adventure that leaves you completely oblivious to the world around you while reading.