Thursday, May 7, 2009

Two bottles of wine and a stranger

It looks like while on the home stretch of my "what I have done over the last 5 years" list I am apparently make a sprint for the finish to add as many items to the list as possible.

I went to whiskey night at 7 Saints last night to try and begin to learn to drink whiskey before I got to Scotland. I had told a few friends, but figured it'd just be me. That was kind of the point, I think I need to go to a bar by myself - for the whole night. I have been at bars by myself for, say less than 30 minutes, waiting to meet people, but I have never just gone to a bar, intentionally by myself.

So that was the intention. I sat at the bar, near the west end, on a stool right next to post, so there was no one on my right, an open seat at my left, two women beyond that, and open seat around the corner, and a man by himself.

It was busier than expected, so it took a few minutes to get a menu from the bartender. I took a look at the bourbon and rye list, this weeks specials, and didn't really have any idea. I moved the menu away a bit and was going to wait and ask the bartender his opinion. Some people had arrived and were talking to the two ladies to my left, and then the single man got up, to let them have the open seat and his, and sat next to me.

"Oh so I see you are drinking whiskey tonight," he said.
"I am trying to learn how before I go to Scotland this summer."
"I really don't drink it anymore. Which are you thinking of?"
"The only one I recognize the the Jim Bean, and I've had that, so, I really don't know. I was going to see what the bartender recommends."

The bartender walked over and asked if I have decided. I then asked him for some help, and explained that I am just learning about whiskey. He gives a few suggestions and says he's really been liking this Eagle 17 year rare (or something like that). Just then my new 'neighbor' gives his comments about it and says, "I think she'd like that. Get her a pour, and one for me too." He looks over at me and says, "you can't drink whiskey alone."

We get our drinks, toast to whiskey, and introduce ourselves. Some small talk, chit-chat. His name was David and he was in town, from Peoria, checking on his medical equipment that he sells. I guess he goes in to surgery with the docs and sees if everything is going OK.

Then Mina showed up so we moved to the little table at the end of the booths to accommodate everyone. I introduced Mina to my new found friend, David and our waiter, Jim, came over to check on us. David bought Mina some whiskey, and I went to give my regards to Andy the owner. He is the main reason I had made it out. Last time we were there for dinner, the waitress over heard me mentioning I needed to learn whiskey and she sent Andy over, as I found out he LOVES whiskey. So I told him I'd come in for whiskey Wednesday.

I saw Andy at the far end of the bar and said hello; man has the best hand shake. He came over to our table, and in the meantime, David was looking at the wine list - there went my whiskey lesson. He spent sometime asking Andy what he had in the 'back room.' A few minutes later Andy came out with this Spanish blend that was just AMAZING (I'm kicking myself for not keeping the cork). Smooth and chocolaty, full-bodied, but not harsh. He sat and had a glass of wine with us and told use about the plans for the place in the future.

After we finished that bottle, he flighted us up to the next on the list from the 'back room.' An equally amazing Spanish blend - they both were just delicious!!

David had bought both Mina and I our drinks and food that night, and I am guessing he was looking for something in return; but I didn't want to add that to my list. I think being bought drinks by a stranger at a bar was good enough.

7 comments:

tyler said...

your blog is quickly overtaking mine in the area of interesting life stories...

Dr. X-Tina said...

I felt I needed a more appropriate label than miscellaneous, hence the crazy acts of randomness, which, FYI, happen kinda often.

RomanX said...

I don't think you are taking this whole year of alchemy thing seriously ma'am!

Dr. X-Tina said...

You don't know that for sure. One can't disclose all one's (mis)adventures, plus as of late, I think I'm embracing as much, if not more than you.

Grace said...

Alright, so this may be vulgar but whatever...

I've heard a friend once say that her vagina was worth much more than dinner and drinks. And I have to agree; vaginas are expensive.

Dr. X-Tina said...

And this is why that (in italics) did not happen.

Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.