Monday, June 8, 2009

Up-date and count down

I think that this is one of the few trips that I have taken in which all the travels plans went 110% smoothly!! This was a great start to a fun-filled and very enjoyable conference and vacation. Thankfully the thick fog on Tuesday morning did not interfere with our flight out of BMI and our transfer at O'hare and rental car pick-up all went off with out a hitch. We were a tad bit disappointed driving out of Denver west to Breckenridge, because it took quite awhile to see any mountains.

The resort where we stayed for the conference was spectacular and we had a wonderful view. The hotel/condo was very comfortable and had plenty of room, including a full kitchen in which we stocked with snacks from the City Market. We took part of the amenities of the resort, including the pools and hot tubes.

The conference was enjoyable and it was good to connect with friends who I seemingly only see at these things. I took a little time off in the morning and took at walk around town and got a pedicure. We had a delicious dinner at the Blue River Bistro on Wednesday as a lab.

Wednesday was also our white water rafting experience on the Arkansas River. It was a BLAST!! Our guide, Alan was this 52 year-old hippie who had been rafting for almost 25 years. It was great to have all his stories and insights in to the different areas of the river. The rest of the week was great and the closing banquet was a ton of fun, dancing, and being crazy. My knees are still feeling it.







Now I am in the home stretch. My dad and brother will be here 3 weeks from today to pack me up and move. I sold a few more things on Craigslist today and have a few to go. It is a crazy week at the lab getting the last, and I mean last, experiments done, as well as getting the next draft of my post-doc grant to the new boss. I keep reminding myself only 3 weeks until I have a 2 month vacation.

Things left to do:
  1. Set up utilities in the new apartment
  2. Close my bank account
  3. Pack, pack, pack
  4. Finish planning the Scotland vacation and settle on the dates for visiting the East Coast
  5. Clean-up and pack my desk at lab
  6. Figure out my new MacBook
  7. Numerous other odds and ends

No comments: