Friday, July 17, 2009

American History

I went through the whole, well pretty much, the whole Freedom Trail today. It did not take as long as expected mainly because Boston is not nearly as big as I thought. It was a pretty warm day, but thankfully with the layers of sunscreen applied before embarking on my history-laden day, I am not as red as a lobsta'

I started out visiting the Bunker Hill memorial and USS Constitution in Charlestown. It was a very beautiful, quite area and the lay of the homes was what I would expect an old New England town to look like. (I have forgotten my camera cord to download pictures, so they will come next week.) Then it was across the Charles River to Copp's Hill Burial Ground. Most of the grave stones were so only you could barely read the first few lines. Then it was on to the Old North Church, where I was reminded of the fact that Paul Revere himself did not hang the lantern's, as he was already on his way to the country side. The church had old box-style pews, which I had never seen before and still hold two services a week.

After this I was in search of lunch and was in a just the area of find it; The North End. I strolled down Hanover Street a bit of the red brick that denoted the Freedom Trail. I must say this was a most brilliant idea - having a big red line running on the sidewalk pointing in the correct direction of the tour. I walked past several shops and then found this great hole-in-the-wall seafood joint and walked right in - The Daily Catch. The whole place probably wasn't much bigger than my college dorm room. The 'kitchen' was in full view and the 'dishroom' was covered by a half wall curtain. There was one waiter and probably seating for 16, maybe 20 at most. I had a black pasta dish and calamari and vegetables - delicious (sound of kissing my fingers). Then as luck has it, I was across the street from Mike's Pastry, a must see sight according to Andy. I walked in, and took in all the smells and sights of this authentic Italian bakery and walked out eating a chocolate mousse canoli.

I strolled around the North End a bit more and walked over to Christopher Columbus Park and took a lil' nap under the tree in the shade. Then it was off to venture through Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market (where I found Vicki a birthday present). After passing the site of the Boston Massacre and the Old South Meeting House, it was on to Boston Commons for another lil' nap in the park. I made my way back to Faneuil Hall, took in some street performances, read a few pages of my book and then met Peggy and Klemen for dinner at Mother Anna's. Erik met up with us and we had an enjoyable seafood dinner - yummy crab cakes out on the patio.

Tomorrow I am taking the Duck Boat Tour around town and down the Charles River, then it is off to Vicki's and out to the Vineyard.

No comments: