Thursday, July 2, 2009

Settling in

For the most part it looks like I live here now, and I would say I am about 90-95% settled in. There are still a few pictures to hang and sorting out of things, especially boxes from the Freund lab. Most of those items will stay in the spare room closet until I get started in the Saltiel lab in August. Some moments it does not feel that weird because I am surrounded by all of my stuff and it is now just in a new and much better apartment. I have already begun to enjoy the ammenities here, including the laundry room and dishwasher. I doubt I will really use the dishwasher all that often, since I am used to washing by hand and, well don't ditry that many dishes to begin with. The laundry on the other hand; I just love it, especially since it is an actual room and not a laundry closet. All day to day when I was running errands, every time I got change I smiled because I no longer have to worry about saving quaters for laundry.

Lily has adjusted well and has yet to try and escape, but I am sure she will. The front door opens directly to the outside, so we'll see. At least there is a window so I can see if she is there. I'm not quite sure what she'd do if she got on the balcony; I would hope she wouldn't try to just off, however with her, one never knows.

I went to lab this afternoon to sign paperwork etc. and Alan asked me to come to lab meeting. It was strange sitting there thinking this is my lab now and seeing how things go. There were some jokes and small talk, but nothing quite like the Freund lab meetings. There are definetly things I will miss about the Freund lab, and not just the pizza during lunch lab meetings.

All in all, the strangest feeling so far is being back in Michigan.

Things I will have to get used to again:
1. Motorcycle helments
2. Bottle returns, got to start saving those pop cans, and now beer bottles
3. Ridiciulously bad roads...grr
4. Hearing local news etc. about Detroit, and it is even worse when what they say on the national broadcasts
5. Not being smoke-free. I have heard rumors that it is in the works, and I sure hope so
6. Eastern time zone, especially the TV schedule
7. Being much closer to my family is just such a blessing. Marissa already wanted to spend the night when they were helping to move me in

With having the next two months off to travel and relax I do not really feel the weight of having to start over again. I am hoping this time will serve as a good transistion to this new chapter and will enable me to somewhat get used to this new life without such an abrupt change. I know once I get to working again and have more of a routine I will miss the Chambana groove I have had for the last 5 years. I hope to see everyone very soon and welcome all visitors.

I have attached a video of the new place for everyone to see and pictures are up on FB.




No comments: