Saturday, July 11, 2009

East Coast Tour - Leg 1

Well it came as a surprise to me that my Garmin (GPS) did not work in Canada. As I was approaching the Detroit/Winsor boarder it kept telling me to turn on every side street to turn around and then when that was no longer an option, it was telling my to make a U-turn. Needless to say, I am glad I still have the trusty Atlas in my car. There are only two main express ways in Ontario that eventually configure in London, ON and go on to Niagara Falls. I did finally get on the 401 after about 15-20 minutes of following signs through side roads. Once pulling in to Niagara Falls (on the Canadian side) I stopped to eat at the first local place I found - Taps Brewery. I had a really delicious pulled pork sandwich with a homemade slaw on top served on a chewy rolls along with a vanilla stout. The place looked very new and my waitress, a recent college graduate, was very helpful and informative about The Falls. I walked the few miles to The Falls and took about an hour to explore around before I left on my way to the Rochester area.

I met up with Peggy and her boyfriend, Dave, outside of Rochester in Victor. She seems to be doing very well there and it was go great to see her and meet her wonderful boyfriend. Stopped for supplies, drinks and snacks, and took off to his parents place on Canandaigua Lake for an evening of boating and tubing. We spent the evening on the lake and then to a local establishment for dinner. We had to rise early this morning for Peggy to get to her boaters safety training and for me to get on the road. I arrived to aunt Mindy's in Long Island shortly before 3pm, about 45 minutes after anticipated and given the traffic on the bridges in to NY, I figured I made good time.

I am still working on the plans for the drive home. Vicki and company are staying on the vineyard until Tuesday evening, but at the latest I'll need to leave Tuesday AM and get on the road. Originally I had planned to drive all the way back to Ann Arbor, but given the extra time for the boat ride and how freakin' tired I was after the 6.5hrs today, I think I'll stop half way on Tuesday to arrive home Wednesday. I am going to look in to staying at/near a winery in up-state NY; I did not realize how many there were until I drove through today.

Finally, books on tape!! How have I missed this! I am about 3/4 of the way through my second book and I am loving it. Thank goodness for the library.

No comments: